Re: [O] Where does org-mode elisp hacking go?

From: Charles Berry
Subject: Re: [O] Where does org-mode elisp hacking go?
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2013 22:38:47 +0000 (UTC)

Lawrence Bottorff <galaxybeinglambda <at> gmail.com> writes:

> I see on the org-hacks.html page lots of interesting elisp code.

> If I wanted to use some of this (lots of this) it seems wrong to shove it
> all in my .emacs file. My first guess would be to put what I want into
> separate .el files, go to my .org file and do a load-file on the .el file
> of hacks. But I really loath doing something that's not "best practice."
> What's the best practice for enabling org-mode elisp hacks? And what if
> I want to use just one hack for one project? With usual elisp-ing you can
> simply evaluate region. Is that possible in conjunction with a .org file?

Yes. But you might like to look at

   http://orgmode.org/worg/org-contrib/babel/intro.html#sec-8-2-1

which discusses "Emacs Initialization with Babel" for a comprehensive approach.

For a single project, you can but a src_block in the master that loads
whatever is needed or use a file local variables block to load up the
requisites.
See: Specifying File Variables in the emacs manual.