Re: [O] python sessions

From: Nick Dokos
Subject: Re: [O] python sessions
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2013 14:15:38 -0400

John Hendy <address@hidden> wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 20, 2013 at 12:25 PM, Nick Dokos <address@hidden> wrote:
> > Andreas Röhler <address@hidden> wrote:
> >
> >> Seems `org-babel-execute':python doesn't get the session flag.
> >>
> >> Edebug: org-babel-execute:python
> >> org-babel-execute:python
> >> executing Python code block...
> >>  [4 times]
> >> Result: ((:comments . #1="") (:shebang . #1#) (:cache . "no")
> >> (:padline . #1#) (:noweb . "no") (:tangle . "no") (:exports
> >> . "results") (:results . "replace output") (:hlines . "no")
> >> (:padnewline . "yes") (:session) (:result-type . output)
> >
> > Sure it does:           ^^^^^^^^^^
> >
> > What it does with it is another matter however. Am I missing something?
>
> I was thinking the concern was over not having the session named
> properly, but might be wrong (Andreas could confirm).

I guessed Andreas tried with an unnamed session (but I agree it would be
best if he confirms): afaics, if I use a session name, it's passed
correctly in the params argument of org-babel-execute:python as
(:session . "foo"), but in the later processing,
org-babel-python-buffers is not set correctly.

> I've not used python prior to this, but I use R almost daily in Org
> and if I do #+begin_src R :session R, I get a buffer actually named
> =R=. In this case, I expected the buffer name would be *PyFoo*.
> Checking if it was an issue with asterisks, I used =:session py= and
> still just get the default *Python* buffer created.

Yes, I think it's ob-python's problem: but as I said before, I don't
understand why it works for you (and Ista Zahn).

Nick