Re: [O] RFC: inheritance of export attributes

From: Nicolas Goaziou
Subject: Re: [O] RFC: inheritance of export attributes
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2013 22:51:55 +0100

Hello,

Aaron Ecay <address@hidden> writes:

> I have noticed a difficulty with :results table drawer babel blocks.  It
> isn’t possible to put ATTR_LATEX keywords on the table in that case.  If
> they are placed outside of the drawer, they apply to the drawer and not
> the table.  If they are placed inside it, they will be deleted when the
> block is reevaluated.

What about evaluating it, inserting the attr_latex keyword, and then
disabling evaluation for that block?

> Would it be possible for ATTR_FOO attributes to be inherited by child
> elements, so that this case would work?  It would solve this problem,
> and also allow things like:
>
> #+ATTR_LATEX: :width 200px
> :DRAWER:
> # several images, all of which should be 200 px wide
> :END:
>
> I thought I would ask for comments, since this might break other things
> in ways I’m not thinking of.

I understand the interest for the problem at hand, but, generally
speaking, I tend to think it could lead to confusion.

Attributes inheritance is but a hack used to parametrize inline images,
until we agree on a proper link syntax including its own attributes.

Another way to solve the problem would be to let Babel generate
attributes from source code with a specific keyword, e.g.:

  #+begin_src :results table :attr-latex ":align lll"
  #+end_src

Regards,

--
Nicolas Goaziou