Re: [O] tests with travis-ci

From: Nick Dokos
Subject: Re: [O] tests with travis-ci
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2013 08:55:43 -0400

Andreas Röhler <address@hidden> wrote:

> Am 21.03.2013 21:41, schrieb Bastien:
> [ ... ]
> > Yes.  The limitation of the pre-push hook comes from the fact that
> > various developers may have various testing environments, no one
> > should be prevented from pushing by the fact that tests do not pass
> > for someone else.
>
> [ ... ]
>
> Hi,
>
> just to ask about some more aspects:
>
> - Typos often will break it from the beginning, so complete tests must not
> run all every time.
>   Will some testing at all is needed to detect the typos...

Yes, run `make test'.

Bastien already added a note to Worg, asking developers to run `make
test' before pushing.  That leaves it at the discretion of the
developer, rather than having it run automatically from some hook which
might have problems of its own. I believe that once developers (any
that don't do so already) try it, they will find out the great benefits
of doing so. And then both the problem and this discussion will die down
:-)

> - org-mode has already a directory testing. It was not obvious for me how to
> make use of it.
>   Exists some docu wrt available tests?

What we are talking about here is running existing test cases.
For that, you just say `make test' to run the test suite.

Creating new test cases and adding them to the test suite is a different
matter of course.  There is a useful README in the testing/ directory
and an examples/ subdir, but you can  also just pick one of the existing
tests in the lisp/ subdir and read it. Perhaps not the best example, but

  http://article.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/62908/match=ert

shows a minimal .emacs with a test case added. It should at least
clarify the mechanics of creating and running a new test case, stripped
down to its bare essentials.

> - usually you know about the range of changes.
>   Limited tests checking certain features seem useful

Not worth bothering about IMO: just run the whole test suite.

Nick