Re: [O] Org-mode as a replacement for Google Reader

From: Andreas Leha
Subject: Re: [O] Org-mode as a replacement for Google Reader
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2013 14:01:38 +0100

Hi Karl,

Karl Voit <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi!
>
> TL;DR: org-feed.el is not a doable replacement for Google Reader.
>        What about alternatives?
>
> I am using Google Reader with the Android app "NewsRob Pro" which is
> very good in terms of features that make sense and support my
> workflow.
>
> Google Reader will die in July and therefore NewsRob will die as
> well (or has to migrate to another server platform which is unlikely
> due to lack of time from the author).
>
> So I was thinking of using Emacs with or without Org-mode as a
> potential replacement. I basically live in Org-mode. Since I read
> RSS a *lot* on my Android devices (yes, even being at home), I'd
> love to have sync abilities between desktop Emacs and something like
> MobileOrg.
>
> I stumbled upon org-feed.el[1][2] and tried it with two of my RSS
> feeds (heise, Dilbert).
>
> It's working. In a way.
>
> Unfortunately, there is no (obvious) way of getting the feed content
> rather than the short description (for selected feeds). Images are
> not shown (Dilbert comic strip) and HTML fragments are all over the
> place making it hard to read the news. Since the resulting data did
> not fulfill basic requirements, I did not even bother and try to sync
> it to MobileOrg.
>
> Therefore, org-feed.el is not a replacement for Google Reader and
> NewsRob for my set of requirements at all.
>
> I wonder if there are a group of people having the same issue
> because of the demise of Google Reader and apps that sync from/to
> there.
>
> Any suggestions? Ideas?
>
> I'd prefer to think about having a solution which is hosted on my
> computers rather than having to re-do the switch when the next cloud
> based service stops working in a year or so.

This is not an answer to your question, sorry.

But you can host your own reader.  I can recommend tiny-tiny-rss, which
also has a nice android client (two, actually).

To get the content instead of the short description, you can try
full-text-rss (you can host this yourself as well).  It does not work
perfect (esp. heise content is missing in a lot of articles), but
improves the situation.

I expect a good solution based on emacs to be hard to set up, because of
heavy image/markup/codesnippet/..-use in many articles and because of
syncing.  But I'll follow this thread and would be habby to be proven
wrong...

Regards,
Andreas