[O] We're doing it wrong. [WAS]: Zip utility on Windows for ODT exporter

From: Loyall, David
Subject: [O] We're doing it wrong. [WAS]: Zip utility on Windows for ODT exporter
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2013 14:06:55 +0000

> Just tried [...X] and don't have the [... utility] that Org is looking for.

And that's why civilized programs don't depend on external executables from
$PATH.

Now, I'd imagine that some people have argued in the past that org shouldn't
depend on external executables.  Clearly those arguments have failed.

But, let's take a fresh look.  How about this rule of thumb: don't depend on
external executables **from $PATH**.

Can we agree on that?

How about: don't depend on external executables from $PATH, but allow the user
to override via config.

This is important on the 'reproducible research' front.

Cheers,
--Dave