Re: [O] [BUG] [ODT] Annotations break paragraphs

From: Nicolas Goaziou
Subject: Re: [O] [BUG] [ODT] Annotations break paragraphs
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2013 16:48:43 +0100

Hello,

Achim Gratz <address@hidden> writes:

> Am 25.03.2013 23:15, schrieb Nicolas Goaziou:
>>> The proper way to handle this is to introduce a new syntax for
>>> inlined annotations and to treat them appropriately in exporters.
>>>
>>> Since we have both #+begin_src and src_<lang>{...} I'd suggest
>>> having annotation_{...} or something similar.
>>
>> I would suggest [annotation:label] or [note:label] a dedicated section
>> for contents, much like footnotes (aren't they just special footnotes,
>> after all?). That way, they can be inlined while still being able to
>> contain paragraphs.
>
> That only solves this single problem.  Provide something like an
> (implicit) P-Block that will become a paragraph in each exporter and can
> contain other elements like all other blocks.  I suggest to follow the
> lead of (La)TeX and determine begin and end of such blocks by blank lines.
>
> So this would be a single P-Block with an annotation inside:
>
> ----8<----
>    There is an annotation by the original author here
>    #+BEGIN_ANNOTATION
>      I never meant to break this paragraph.
>    #+END_ANNOTATION
>    in the middle of the paragraph.
> ---->8----

It wouldn't allow paragraphs within the annotation.

Anyway, every back-end has its own interpretation of what a paragraph
is. Some back-ends don't even know what a paragraph is. Org cannot fit
them all.

On the other hand, as the ox-odt patch somehow demonstrates, it is
possible for a back-end to ignore Org paragraph definition and rolls its
own. It requires some additional code, but I'm open to discussion about
implementing tools in ox.el in order to ease the process.

In any case, I think we ought to keep raw Org syntax as simple as
possible. The current definition of a paragraph is simple enough.

Regards,

--
Nicolas Goaziou