Re: [O] Setting taskjuggler project start date (ox-taskjuggler)

From: John Hendy
Subject: Re: [O] Setting taskjuggler project start date (ox-taskjuggler)
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2013 17:00:08 -0500

On Wed, Mar 27, 2013 at 9:37 AM, Nicolas Goaziou <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> John Hendy <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> If you have =org-taskjuggler-keep-project-as-task=, it will take the
>> :start: property and use this in the project-as-top-level-task output.
>> Could this be used after =scheduled= and before defaulting to today's
>> date? This would seem to unify the syntax.
>>
>> It strikes me as reasonable to take 1) scheduled, 2) :start: in
>> property drawer and 3) default to today's date (in that order).
>>
>> What do you think?
>
> I don't know much about TaskJuggler. It doesn't sound unreasonable to
> me, but I'd rather let Christian Egli (Cc'ed) decide about it.

Sure. The gist is that you define a "range" for the overall project.
My issue probably stems from the fact that I'm using the functionality
simply for the organizational aspects of Org-mode vs. writing all that
TJ code manually. I *haven't* (so far) been actually using TODOs or
SCHEDULED/DEADLINEs on my headers, which may be why I was surprised at
the functionality. I'm more using the property drawers to just
manually access the keywords allowed via the TJ syntax.

Since others might be doing this (and the tutorial doesn't suggest to
use Org-mode scheduling functionality)... might be good to at least
allow for it.

Also, since I noticed that my tasks pick up the :start: property and
that the get-start (item) function *could* pick up a scheduled date as
well... might be good to anticipate the case in which the user
specifies both (probably accidentally). Maybe just provide an error
that either scheduled/deadline *or* :start: should be used, but not
both.

Or if scheduled date conflicts with an duration/dependency relationship as well?

Some of this might be handled by the tj3 command on the resultant .tjp
file, though. I've found that the export is pretty strict and it will
with most cases like this.

Thanks!
John