Re: [O] org-check.org confusion

From: Sebastien Vauban
Subject: Re: [O] org-check.org confusion
Date: Sat, 30 Mar 2013 08:38:21 +0100

Hi David,

"Loyall, David" wrote:
> But how do I, also an Emacs newbie, know that? Well, lock files aren't
> peculiar to Emacs. Have a look:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File_locking#Lock_files
>
> :)
>
> How do you remove the lock? Well, first close all your Emacs buffers (on any
> machine, anywhere) that are pointed at the org-check.org file. Then see if the
> lock file is still there. If it's there, and you're not editing the file in an
> Emacs buffer, than the lock is stale. Manually delete it. (Alternatively,
> Emacs has some user interface for doing this. It is described in that info
> page ^^^.)

When you open f.org, if there is an #f.org# file, Emacs will let you know:

  You should recover this file

is displayed in the echo area.

Then, simply type M-x recover-this-file, and answer:

- yes, to overwrite f.org with that auto-saved version
- no, to simply delete #f.org#

FYI, I've customized the color `recover-this-file' with an orange background
in order to clearly see that Emacs has something to tell me, even if I
overlooked the msg in the echo area:

  ... (recover-this-file ((,class (:background "white" :background "#FF3F3F"))))

Best regards,
  Seb

--
Sebastien Vauban