Re: [O] Org-mode outside Org-mode

From: Samuel Wales
Subject: Re: [O] Org-mode outside Org-mode
Date: Wed, 3 Apr 2013 11:23:57 -0700

Great write-up, Thorsten.

There is a whole other set of options also.  I don't know if they are
close enough for you to include, but it's worth pointing them out.

These are in the general category of Org annotations.  Instead of
editing Org in a temporary buffer, you use a real, permanent Org file
(can include an agenda file).

There are two types of options: those that allow you to use Org to
annotate external files without changing those files, and those that
allow you to annotate external files by putting persistent markers in
them.

In both types, you can in principle do C-c ' to get to your Org agenda
files location from your external files, and the same thing in
reverse.

The existing mechanisms include org-pua.el, org-registry.el, and
org-annotate.el.

In principle, you should be able to annotate web pages in w3m.el and
dired entries and info notes also.

To me, there is a lot of possibility here.

It should also be possible to put an ID marker in an external file,
which corresponds exactly to the Org IDs in a canonical entry in your
agenda files.  Then C-c ' can bounce between the external file and
your agenda file.

Samuel

The disease DOES progress.  MANY people have died from it.  ANYBODY
can get it.  There is NO hope without action.  This means YOU.