Re: [O] Org as a static site generator

From: Ian Barton
Subject: Re: [O] Org as a static site generator
Date: Sat, 06 Apr 2013 17:13:45 +0100

On 06/04/13 16:15, Christopher Allan Webber wrote:
Cool, thanks for that info!

Ian Barton writes:

On Fri, Apr 05, 2013 at 11:02:56AM -0500, Christopher Allan Webber wrote:
Ian Barton writes:

On 01/04/13 13:08, Vincent Beffara wrote:

Yes, I mean, I know which html you need for that, simply within o-blog you need
to manage between relative paths, absolute paths, canonical paths and so on in
the template, to match the right section,  - mainly it should be a matter of
let-ing the right variable to the right value at the right point in the
template and catching it when generating the toc, but I never took the time to
get it right ...
I've also just found this, which uses Org only as a markup tool and
Jekyll to generate the site:

http://orgmode.org/worg/org-tutorials/org-jekyll.html
I had a look at the too, but it felt just a little bit too convoluted compared
to managing everything from Org. Besides, it seems to lose fontification of
code snippets and the like?

/v

As the original author of that page, I agree that using Jekyll is
convoluted, but it gives you much more control. However I now use
Pelican: https://pelican.readthedocs.org/en/3.1.1/

There are a few reasons for this. Pelican is written in Python, which I
find easier to hack on. It is more flexible than Jekyll, which I found
hard to get to work the way I wanted with categories and tags.

I wrote a yaml importer for Pelican so I could use my old jekyll posts.
However, Pelican understands Markdown, which I think the new exporter
supports.

So my work flow now is Emacs-> export as html -> run Jekyll

Ian.

Heya Ian,

I've been planning to switch my blog over to pelican.  It's cool to hear
you say this.

Is there any special elisp you use for the export, including converting
things like the title, etc?

Thanks!
  - Chris

Hi Chris,

No, nothing special. I just use org's standard publish functions. However, I
publish only the body part of the html and place the yaml tags in the org file.
A typical org file for a blog post would look like:

#+STARTUP: showall indent
#+STARTUP: hidestars
#+BEGIN_HTML
---
title: My Fire Steel Crumbles to Dust.
date: 2013-02-17
tags: [gear]
category: blog

---
#+END_HTML

After my walk over Moel Famau and Moel Arthur I was looking forward
to making a hot drink. My brew kit lives permanently in the boot of

org pubish then creates a file with a yaml header and html body text. Then I
just run Pelican to publish the post. I have written a Pelican yaml reader
which converts the yaml files to allow Pelican to process them. I'll document
the whole process over the next couple of days and put it on Worg. I keep
meaning to contribute my yaml reader back to Pelican, but it's quite specific
to publishing org-mode files and not really a general purpose yaml importer.

--

I have just written a short post at: http://www.ian-barton.com/posts/2013/Apr/06/blogging-with-emacs-org-mode-and-pelican/ which describes how I use org-mode and Pelican.

I'll write a more comprehensive explanation for Worg.

Ian.