Re: [O] Some %elements in org-html-postamble-format became too "generous

From: Nicolas Goaziou
Subject: Re: [O] Some %elements in org-html-postamble-format became too "generous"
Date: Sun, 07 Apr 2013 20:32:34 +0200

Dieter Wilhelm <address@hidden> writes:

> Even though I'm not yet happy with this because the
> org-html-creator-string default:
>
> "Generated by <a href=\"http://orgmode.org\";>Org</a> mode 8.0-pre in <a
> href=\"http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/\";>Emacs</a> 24.3.3."
>
> is in my opinion too much language dependent!  It requires the user who
> wants to translate the preamble to change 2 places,
> org-html-postamble-format *and* org-html-creator-string.
>
> Why not simply making org-html-creator-string "name oriented", like:
>
> "<a href=\"http://orgmode.org\";>Org</a> mode 8.0-pre / <a
> href=\"http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/\";>Emacs</a> 24.3.3."

Agreed. Done.

> Works wonderfully for English, sorry I forgot the more general case.
> The default time string format has a day name included.  Wouldn't it be
> possible for the exporters to look for the language keyword e.g.:
> #+LANGUAGE: fr and set the time string translated accordingly?  I've no
> idea how much work it is but I imagine org asking the OS under some
> locale argument might do...

This is no trivial task. Patches welcome. ;)

> Or just using a default time string format which is language
> independent, like %Y-%m-%d.

There's `org-html--timestamp-format', which is used for all timestamps
in preamble, postamble and metadata. It's clearly an internal variable.
I don't know if it is used because the format is required or because it
saves copying over the same format string.

Since I don't know the intent behind this, I can't tell if it could be
made a defcustom.

> By the way, is it normal that org-html-postamble-format and
> org-html-creator-string are not loaded before an html export is
> triggered?

Yes, by default, the export framework is not loaded at startup (as
specified in `org-export-backends'). You can use `eval-after-load' or
simply (require 'ox-html) if needed.

Regards,

--
Nicolas Goaziou