Re: [O] Executable not found error with begin_src R but not begin_src R

From: John Hendy
Subject: Re: [O] Executable not found error with begin_src R but not begin_src R :session on Windows
Date: Tue, 9 Apr 2013 23:06:34 -0500

On Mon, Apr 8, 2013 at 8:53 PM, Eric Schulte <address@hidden> wrote:
> John Hendy <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> On 8.0-pre and have never had an issue with R source code blocks
>> before. I was just trying something simple like:
>>
>> #+begin_src R :exports results
>>
>> a <- 1+2
>>
>> #+end_src
>>
>> I got empty #+results block upon execution and the *Org Babel Error*
>> (something like that) buffer had an error about the executable not
>> being found. Adding =:session= produced results, though.
>>
>> Is there something new about the difference between execution with and
>> without sessions with R?
>>

> I'm able to execute R code on 8.0-pre with or without a session.
> Perhaps your `org-babel-R-command' variable doesn't point to R, or maybe
> you have a broken install?
>
> If this problem persists please send an error trace (with
> `debug-on-error' set to t).

But wait. If my issue was pointing to the wrong directory, I don't get
why :session vs. not would make a difference?

This is the exact error I get:

'R' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

How does :session find R if it's not in Windows path and seems to
depend on explicitly being told where to look via org-babel-R-command?

John