Re: [O] Enriched/Org is a colorful Org

From: Suvayu Ali
Subject: Re: [O] Enriched/Org is a colorful Org
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2013 12:48:02 +0200

Hi Carsten,

On Wed, Apr 10, 2013 at 12:16:28PM +0200, Carsten Dominik wrote:

> On 10 apr. 2013, at 11:54, Suvayu Ali <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> > On Wed, Apr 10, 2013 at 09:32:44AM +0530, Jambunathan K wrote:
> >>
> >> See "Side note" towards the end of this message
> >>
> >>        http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=14157#8
> >>

> > This request is common enough; every time it comes up overlays are
> > proposed as a solution.  It would be good if this is available even as a
> > library outside of Org.
>
> Yes, overlays are better.  However, maybe I am just no getting it, but
> what is even the purpose of facemenu?  AFAICS, the faces are
> non-permanent, so when I save the file and reopen it, all the faces
> are gone.  I really cannot see a useful application for this.

AFAIR, the use cases presented so far involved adding highlighting-like
information in Org files.  If the overlays are generated consistently
based on the user's setup, it doesn't matter if they are non-permanent
(as in not part of the Org file, but dependent on the Emacs setup
instead).  Of course this means the highlighting information will not be
portable; but I don't think people mind that.

I personally do not find any use for the feature as such; although it
might be interesting to be able to insert plain text cookies in Org
files and have them highlighted in some fashion.  I could then use a
list of ideas like this:

  Some topic ...
  1. Idea 1
  2. Idea 2 (?)

where I'm doubtful about idea (2); having (?) highlighted would remind
me of that.  Just an idea.

:)

--
Suvayu