Re: [O] Enriched/Org is a colorful Org

From: Jambunathan K
Subject: Re: [O] Enriched/Org is a colorful Org
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2013 22:13:46 +0530

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

> I beg the Org developers to please be very careful when introducing
> expensive display features such as overlays into Org.  Org already
> puts the Emacs display engine to its limits in many of its popular
> features; adding overlays to this mess might be too much.

We shouldn't be afraid of building a prototype or release the feature
with a warning "you are on your own".

> I don't know enough about Org to understand why overlays are being
> considered instead of text properties, but feel free to describe the
> issues (preferably on emacs-devel) and start a discussion about the
> possible alternatives.

>From Org side of things, it is the rigidity of Org syntax wrt emphasis
etc.  From user side of things, an ability to color code his notes (and
possibly create an exported document that retains those highlights.)

The intention is to really keep the discussion moving and see what comes
out of it.