Re: [O] Enriched/Org is a colorful Org

From: Sebastien Vauban
Subject: Re: [O] Enriched/Org is a colorful Org
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2013 22:16:30 +0200

Hi Carsten,

Carsten Dominik wrote:
> On 10.4.2013, at 18:21, Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:
>>> From: Carsten Dominik <address@hidden>
>>>
>>> Yes, overlays are better.
>>
>> I beg the Org developers to please be very careful when introducing
>> expensive display features such as overlays into Org.  Org already
>> puts the Emacs display engine to its limits in many of its popular
>> features;
>
> this is interesting input, I was not aware of this. Has this been discussed
> before, can you point me to relevant threads, and what are the symptoms of the
> display engine being at its limits?
>
>> adding overlays to this mess might be too much.

I guess Eli simply means, in a general way, that overlays do negatively impact
display performance, as you said as well a couple of times:

  ╭────
  │ From: Carsten Dominik <address@hidden>
  │ Subject: Re: performance problems with drawers
  │ Newsgroups: gmane.emacs.orgmode
  │ To: Al <address@hidden>
  │ Cc: address@hidden
  │ Date: Wed, 8 Jul 2009 07:05:53 +0200 (3 years, 39 weeks, 3 days ago)
  │
  │ Hi Al,
  │
  │ first of all, I cannot reproduce the fact that drawers have such
  │ a major influence on time, wit a test file that I created to
  │ be similar to what you describe.
  │
  │ There is a way to speed up drawer handling, by using text properties
  │ instead of overlays.  How have some vague plans to do this, but nothing
  │ concrete or soon.
  │
  │ - Carsten
  ╰────