Re: [O] Latex export of tables

From: Suvayu Ali
Subject: Re: [O] Latex export of tables
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2013 23:39:17 +0200

Hey Tom,

On Tue, Apr 16, 2013 at 10:07:26AM -1000, Thomas S. Dye wrote:
> Aloha all,
>
> Jumping in here with apologies :)

Isn't that why we discuss on mailing lists, so that people can jump in
;).

> > I'm suggesting this because if you continue on this path, i.e. litter
> > your Org file with hacks, soon you will end up with an extremely fragile
> > and complicated Org project.  I have been down that road while writing
> > my thesis.  At one point I realised the problem and made the decision to
> > split things into two kinds of files: static content (document
> > structuring, text, plots, etc), and dynamic content (babel, TikZ blocks
> > that generate tables, plots, figures, etc used by the static content
> > files).  It is still reproducible research, but modular and less hacky
> > (hence more stable).
>
> The path to a fragile and complicated Org project is well-worn, I've
> been down it too many times myself. The habits I've developed over time
> have helped, but I think they are less systematic than what you've
> devised. I'd love to see some notes on your solution as a brief tutorial
> or an expanded FAQ on Worg.  I'll be happy to contribute or help if you
> find time to do something like this.

Actually, I am working on a workflow for large writing projects, my PhD
thesis in this case :-p.  What I have in mind is have a Makefile based
build system that uses `emacs --batch' to export to LaTeX and html.  The
images are generated separately using babel blocks or standalone TeX
files with TikZ code.  I intend to make pdf images for LaTeX and convert
them to png/svg with imagemagick/inkscape.  Of course all of this is
still a pipe dream; if I get it working, I'll definitely write a Worg
page on it.  Of course it will be great if people with interesting ideas
pitch in :).  I expect to have an early working environment in a couple
of months.

:)

--
Suvayu