Re: [O] missing element in org-element.el

From: Nicolas Goaziou
Subject: Re: [O] missing element in org-element.el
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2013 18:31:28 +0200

Thorsten Jolitz <address@hidden> writes:

> What about
>
> ,----------------
> | latex-or-entity
> | plain-link
> | text-markup
> `----------------
>
> in
>
> ,---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> | (defconst org-element-all-successors
> |   '(export-snippet footnote-reference inline-babel-call inline-src-block
> |                    latex-or-entity line-break link macro plain-link
> radio-target
> |                    statistics-cookie sub/superscript table-cell target
> |                    text-markup timestamp)
> |   "Complete list of successors.")
> `---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> ?
>
> They seem to be neither elements nor objects - are they a kind of
> 'abstract categories' for some object types?
>
> And I must admit that I'm not sure about the exact meaning of
> 'successors'. You describe elements and objects in detail in the
> comment-section of org-element.el, but don't mention 'successors'.

I do, in the "Objects" section. Successors are functions used to find
the next object of a given type. Some objects are so close that they can
share the same successor. Hence `text-markup' is a successor shared by
underline, code, verbatim, bold, italic and strike-through objects. See
`org-element-object-successor-alist' for more information.

Also, see comments above `org-element--parse-elements' to get
information about the algorithm used for object research.

> I hope I don't go on your nerves with my questions, but I'm trying to
> understand how you modeled an Org-file and its not all clear to me.

There are comments at the beginning of each section in the file: these
should give you some answers. Don't hesitate to ask if they don't
fulfill your needs.

Regards,

--
Nicolas Goaziou