Re: [O] Superscripts and subscripts

From: Christian Moe
Subject: Re: [O] Superscripts and subscripts
Date: Sat, 20 Apr 2013 07:26:49 +0200

>> Nicolas Goaziou writes:
>>> Of course, we could work around this with a new rule saying "the longest
>>> match wins", which, in this case, is the underline. But it would be
>>> better to find a more elegant solution, one which would remove the sole
>>> ambiguity, AFAICT, in Org syntax.

How did this work before? I never tried subscript after whitespace. But
we had both superscript-after-whitespace and
underlining-with-underscores working at the same time, without the
ambiguity causing problems as far as I remember.

Indeed, it's very difficult to think of a case where wrapping something
in underscores should not mean underline because you'd want subscript or
superscript before and underscore after.

Though I'm sure there's an Org user out there with a use case. :)

> Achim Gratz <address@hidden> writes:
>> How about {}^{14}C or {^{14}}C?

Works for me, I guess, if it has to be.

Thomas S. Dye writes:
> The LaTeX solution, which recognizes the superscript and subscript
> symbols in math mode, would only require a change in the Org
> documentation.  This works: \(^{14}\)C.

Yep, but in non-latex backends, a superscript that's native to the
backend would be a happier solution.

Yours,
Christian