Re: [O] converting people to Emacs and org-mode

From: Thorsten Jolitz
Subject: Re: [O] converting people to Emacs and org-mode
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2013 08:38:16 +0200

Achim Gratz <address@hidden> writes:

> Sebastien Vauban writes:
>> What I once heard from ergonomical studies is that "black on white"
>> was better than "white on black". Though, is it based on real grounds?
>
> All these studies dependend on which CRT was used (most of which
> produced blurry pictures for dark-on-light content) and are mostly moot
> with current LCD monitors.  The remaining differences are due to
> environmental conditions, but if you follow the lighting recommendations
> for office work and adjust the screen brightness (most LCD screens
> default much too bright as that looks better in stores) you'll be almost
> certainly much better off with a light background and black script, for
> the simple reason that your eyes' pupils will be smaller and the depth
> of focus larger that way.

Scientists prove all kind of things, and they are utterly wrong so
often. Why not ask your eyes? Try 'emacs -fg wheat -bg black' or a nice
dark color theme (e.g.
http://suvayu.wordpress.com/2010/10/11/color-theme-dark-emacs/) for a
while and then check out if going back to 'black on white' doesn't hurt
your eyes.

My eyes clearly tell me that a dark background is better (for me).

--
cheers,
Thorsten