[O] OT: Emacs screen colors (was: converting people to Emacs and org-mod

From: Karl Voit
Subject: [O] OT: Emacs screen colors (was: converting people to Emacs and org-mode)
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2013 11:01:50 +0200

* Carsten Dominik <address@hidden> wrote:

> On 22.4.2013, at 19:11, Bastien <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> Eric S Fraga <address@hidden> writes:
>>
>> On this slightly off-topic subject, an oculist told me the dark
>> background did not really matter, what matters is the contrast.
>> Very high and very low are not good, something inbetween (but
>> he could point to a way to quantify this.)

I can copy that from what I read and what I experienced so far.

>> I use xcalib (http://xcalib.sourceforge.net/) to quickly switch
>> from light-on-dark (most often) to dark-on-light (from time to
>> time) and I recommend it.

I am using the solarized light theme. The dark theme I installed as
well but I hardly switch to it.

> My experience is also that something below the highest contrast
> is much easier on the eyes.  My most recent discovery in this
> space is http://stereopsis.com/flux/.  It is a free app that takes
> the blue out of your screen when the sun sets.

On OS X, I am using flux as well. Definitely recommended!

On Debian GNU/Linux, I am using redshift[1] for the same purpose
because flux had some instability issues.

So the bright theme gets warmer in the evening which fixes this
issue to me. It always huts my eyes a lot when I temporarily disable
redshift/flux :-)

  1. http://jonls.dk/redshift/
--
mail|git|SVN|photos|postings|SMS|phonecalls|RSS|CSV|XML to Org-mode:

https://github.com/novoid/extract_pdf_annotations_to_orgmode + more on github