Re: [O] hard coded autoload file

From: Bastien
Subject: Re: [O] hard coded autoload file
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2013 08:36:19 +0200

Hi Ivan,

Ivan Kanis <address@hidden> writes:

> It seems each file has the name of the autoload file hard coded at the
> end.
>
> For example at the end org-element.el:
>
> ;; Local variables:
> ;; generated-autoload-file: "org-loaddefs.el"
> ;; End:
>
> It sucks for me as I generate autoload with a different name. I made a
> workaround so it's fine.

Why do you generate autoloads with a different name?

> I think it would be better engineered no to have this stuff
> repeated at the end of each file.

We follow the Calc exemple here: .el files for which autoloads need to
be in Emacs loaddefs.el don't have this local variable set, and files
for which autoloads are put into org-loaddefs.el do have this
variable.

This is for reducing the number of Org autoloads in loaddefs.el as it
speeds up Emacs startup time.

> It would be better that it's specified somewhere in the autoconf.

> If I work on this would the patch be accepted?

I can imagine some ad hoc function putting the autoloads were they
belong, but this would be ad hoc.  I guess you'll have first to
explain why the current setup is problematic.

--
 Bastien