Re: [O] Exporting caption with raw results from inline source blocks

From: Eric Schulte
Subject: Re: [O] Exporting caption with raw results from inline source blocks
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2013 09:34:19 -0600

Andreas Leha <address@hidden> writes:

> John Hendy <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> On Fri, Apr 26, 2013 at 6:49 AM, Andreas Leha
>> <address@hidden> wrote:

>> Do you need raw results? It works for me if I just remove the
>> =#+PROPERTY: results raw= line. I'm wondering if that property and the
>> =:results graphics= in your code block conflict?
>>
>> My file:
>>

>> #+PROPERTY: exports results
>>

>> * Caption with inline source
>>

>> #+name: theplot
>> #+begin_src R :results graphics :file someplot.pdf
>>
>>   plot(1:(10+1), 1:(10+1))
>> #+end_src
>>

>> #+caption: There are src_R{10+1} points in this plot
>> #+results: theplot
>>
>> [[file:someplot.pdf]]
>>
>> PDF output attached. With the results raw property line, I got goofy
>> caption alignment and it just said "points in this plot" instead of
>> the full line.
>>

> Hi John,
>
> thanks for testing.  You see the same behaviour that I see.  This is a
> bug, IMO.

Well, this may not be desirable behavior, but everything is operating
according to the spec.  Execute your inline code block manually, and
you'll see exactly what is happening during export.  The R code returns
(as a "raw" result) the following string "11\n".  When that string is
inserted into the caption, the newline breaks the caption.

The following example by contrast does work as expected.

#+PROPERTY: exports results
#+PROPERTY: results raw

* Caption lost at export

#+name: theplot
#+begin_src R :results graphics :file someplot.pdf
  plot(1:(10+1), 1:(10+1))
#+end_src

Execute the following manually to see what happened at export.

#+caption: There are src_sh{echo -n $((10+1))} points in this plot
#+results: theplot
[[file:someplot.pdf]]
I'm loath to add /another/ results keyword, but perhaps it would be nice
to be able to specify that you want the results processed (e.g,
stripping the newline), but you don't want them to be wrapped as an
example.  An alternate approach which may be preferable would be to
expose a defcustom along the lines of org-babel-inline-result-wrapper,
which could be used by org-babel-examplize-region instead of "=%s=".

Regards,

--
Eric Schulte
http://cs.unm.edu/~eschulte