Re: [O] [BUG] New exporter exports TOC twice

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: Re: [O] [BUG] New exporter exports TOC twice
Date: Sat, 27 Apr 2013 13:14:56 +0200

On 27.4.2013, at 10:52, Sebastien Vauban <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hi Carsten,
>
> Carsten Dominik wrote:

>>> If you don't specify a toc item in the OPTIONS line, Org will use the
>>> value of `org-export-with-toc', which is non-nil by default.
>>>
>>> So, your example is equivalent to:

>>> #+TOC: headline 2
>>>
>>> Hence you get two tables of contents.
>>
>> Hmm, I understand the reasoning here - but my feeling says that
>> the presence of one or more #+TOC lines in a file should probably
>> overrule both #+OPTIONS: toc: and the content of org-export-with-toc.
>> So in that case, your would then only get one TOC, at the
>> location of that line.
>>
>> What do you think?  Are there good reasons for not doing it
>> as I propose?
>
> Maybe what I'll say is stupid, but, in LaTeX, there's the minitoc package for
> having a big TOC at the beginning of the document (default) + TOC per chapter,
> which can be limited to less (or more) sublevels.
>
> Maybe allowing to insert extra TOC here and there would allow one to make
> something like that available to other backends?  Though, as of today, I don't
> think the TOC is limitable per org-level-1 headline...

Hi Sebastien,

I am not saying multiple tocs should not be allowed.  I am all for that.
However, I think that by inserting a #+TOC line, the user indicates
desire for local control.  Therefore, org-export-with-toc should be ignored,
and, by extension, also #+OPTIONS: toc (because this is really a local way
to set org-export-with-toc).

- Carsten