Re: [O] using gnuplot's "splot" and "every" commands on org-mode table d

From: Achim Gratz
Subject: Re: [O] using gnuplot's "splot" and "every" commands on org-mode table data
Date: Thu, 09 May 2013 22:23:58 +0200

Eric S Fraga writes:
> At present, there is no mechanism for selective deletion of these line
> separators upon export (that I know of: I would be happy to be corrected
> on this!).  For the paper I submitted last week for publication, the
> only post-org editing I had to do was delete a number \hline
> specifications in the exported LaTeX file.  Not a major problem,
> obviously, but it would be nice to not have to do even that!

Seems to me that one of the variants below would do what you wanted:

* Example table with multiple lines

** Data :noexport:
  #+NAME: raw-table
  |   | Strategy | Average performance |
  |---+----------+---------------------|
  | / |          |                8.69 |
  | / |          |                9.72 |
  | / |          |                9.03 |
  |---+----------+---------------------|
  |   |        1 |                9.15 |
  |---+----------+---------------------|
  | / |          |                9.15 |
  | / |          |                7.60 |
  | / |          |                7.46 |
  |---+----------+---------------------|
  |   |        2 |                8.07 |
  |---+----------+---------------------|
  #+TBLFM: @5$3=vmean(@address@hidden);%.2f::@9$3=vmean(@address@hidden);%.2f

** Results

#+BEGIN_SRC elisp :var table=raw-table :colnames yes :exports results
table
#+END_SRC

#+RESULTS:
|   | Strategy | Average performance |
|---+----------+---------------------|
| / |          |                8.69 |
| / |          |                9.72 |
| / |          |                9.03 |
|   |        1 |                9.15 |
| / |          |                9.15 |
| / |          |                 7.6 |
| / |          |                7.46 |
|   |        2 |                8.07 |

#+BEGIN_SRC elisp :var table=raw-table :hlines yes :exports results
  (delq nil
        (let (hl)
          (mapcar (lambda (tl)
                    (if (listp tl)
                        (unless (equal (car tl) "/")
                          (cdr tl))
                      (unless hl
                        (setq hl t)
                        tl)))
                      table)))
#+END_SRC

#+RESULTS:
| Strategy | Average performance |
|----------+---------------------|
|        1 |                9.15 |
|        2 |                8.07 |

> Maybe there is a need for three different line separators: ~ for headers
> (to be used as Achim indicates above but possibly helpful for exporters
> as well), = for lines that should appear in exported output and - for
> those that will not appear.  Header lines would typically export as
> well.  All three would be used for formula definitions (i.e. @I
> references) but would solely differ in how they are processed by the
> exporters.

We should keep "---" as lines to be exported and perhaps use ":::" for
those that are just introducing convenience for table calculations as
"===" looks far too heavy to me for that purpose.

Regards,
Achim.