[O] Indentation of code blocks within lists

From: Francesco Pizzolante
Subject: [O] Indentation of code blocks within lists
Date: Mon, 13 May 2013 14:11:47 +0200

Hi All,

I'd like to let you know about issues I'm having while trying to put source
code blocks within lists.

Here's my example and how I indent it:

* First situation

- My first bullet

  We need to do this:

  #+begin_src emacs-lisp
  (message "this is a string")
  (defun x()
    "Doc..."
    (interactive)
    (message "hello"))
  #+end_src

- My second bullet

  #+begin_src emacs-lisp
  "test"
  #+end_src

  #+results:
  : test

  - Sub-point of second bullet

    We need to do this as well:

    #+begin_src emacs-lisp
    (sort)
    #+end_src

This way if indenting code blocks has the following advantages:

- it looks nice;

- thanks to the indentation, you directly know at which list level the code
  block belongs to;

- you can easily use Emacs commands (like `C-x TAB') on regions or Org
  promote/demote commands on items or subtrees to edit and reorganize your
  text: "relative" indentation is preserved in all cases.

But, I have 2 issues with it:

- when using `C-c '' (`org-edit-special'), I see spaces before my code, while
  I would expect to see my code starting at column 0 in the edit buffer (the
  "reference" column for the "margin" being, here, the column with the '#'
  from '#+begin_src';

- when exporting, the spaces from column 0 to the start of my code are also
  exported, while I would again expect these spaces to be ignored for the
  export.

The only way I found to fix these issues is to edit my text like this (and
make any code to start in column 0):

- My first bullet

  We need to do this:

  #+begin_src emacs-lisp
(message "this is a string")
(defun x()
  "Doc..."
  (interactive)
  (message "hello"))
  #+end_src

- My second bullet

  #+begin_src emacs-lisp
"test"
  #+end_src

  #+results:
  : test

  - Sub-point of second bullet

    We need to do this as well:

    #+begin_src emacs-lisp
(sort)
    #+end_src

But:

- as you can see, the text does not look anymore as nice as in the previous
  example;

- I'm no longer able to edit and reorganize the text using Emacs `C-x TAB'
  command. That command becomes "forbidden" as it can't correctly respect the
  indentation requirements:

  + starting at column 0 for code;

  + relative for list items (depending on their depth);

- even Org promote/demote commands are buggy in this case: as a simple
  example, when I try to promote (with M-Shift-Left) the last point "Sub-point
  of second bullet" I get an error ("indent-line-to: Wrong type argument:
  wholenump, -2" ) and the following half-baked result:

  - Sub-point of second bullet

    We need to do this:

    #+begin_src emacs-lisp
(sort)
  #+end_src

  The "#+end_src" line got misaligned.

So, my question is the following: is there a way to edit my text as shown in
the first example and edit/export it ignoring the "margin" spaces?

Any help is welcome.

Thanks a lot,
 Francesco