Re: [O] How to install latest Org-mode?

From: Marcin Borkowski
Subject: Re: [O] How to install latest Org-mode?
Date: Wed, 15 May 2013 00:15:47 +0200

Dnia 2013-05-14, o godz. 16:38:08
John Hendy <address@hidden> napisaƂ(a):

> On Tue, May 14, 2013 at 12:52 PM, Marcin Borkowski
> <address@hidden> wrote:
> > Hi list,
> >
> > I'd like to install the new Org-mode (version 8).  I'm wondering
> > what method is the best for me.  I have Emacs 23 (Ubuntu 12.04),
> > but I plan to (1) upgrade to the newest Ubuntu 13.04 soon and (2)
> > upgrade to Emacs 24 soon (I'll probably uninstall Ubuntu's Emacs
> > and install my own, though rather not from sources, but from a .deb
> > package).
> >
> > So, my requirements would be:
> >
> > * I'd prefer the installed Org to survive the upgrades of Ubuntu and
> >   Emacs (of course, I'm going to uninstall Ubuntu's Org-mode
> > 7.8.02).
> >
> > * I'd like the install method to be relatively quick - less than an
> >   hour, say, and I'd prefer my Org-mode to be relatively easy to
> >   upgrade later.
>
> My vote is for git. No middleman (with someone pushing an updated
> package) = less things that can potentially go wrong. I've taken to
> this for LaTeX as well vs. Arch Linux's distribution. Just my vote,
> though! Updating takes < 5min, and 95% of that is just waiting for git
> to clone, probably because I primarily use Org at work and can't clone
> over git protocol behind my firewall. http is slower.

Too late;).  Though I generally agree.  And for LaTeX: Ubuntu packages
are usually quite old.  I usually (once a year) install TeXlive from an
installation dvd (I receive it by mail each year as a users' group
member;)).  And once a year is way too rarely for ConTeXt (another
TeX-based document preparation system, with many things /much/ better
than LaTeX), which is updated more or less once a month or so.

> John

Best,

--
Marcin Borkowski