[O] Customizing Org 8.0 Export

From: Scott Randby
Subject: [O] Customizing Org 8.0 Export
Date: Mon, 20 May 2013 22:03:26 -0400

First, I am using Org version 8.0.3-140-g84bae8.

I'm having some weird customization issues that I don't know how to
resolve.

When Emacs is started, not all the org variables are visible or
available for customization. Here is an example involving HTML export
customization.

1. Start Emacs
2. M-x customize-group org-export-html
   - None of the org-html variables appear on the list.
3. M-x customize-variable org-html-head
   - Changes to org-export-html-head
4. Open up an org file to export to HTML
5. C-c C-e h h
6. M-x customize-group org-export-html
   - Now the org-html variables appear
7. M-x customize-variable org-html-head
   - Works

I can live with the above behavior, but I have a problem when it comes
to customizing LaTeX export.

1. In a manner similar to the org-html variable situation described
   above, variables such as org-latex-classes are not available for
   customization when Emacs is started. One must do C-c C-e l p on an
   org file to make these variables available.

2. I want to put the following in my init.el:

     (add-to-list 'org-latex-classes
             '("notesclass"
               "\\documentclass{article}"
               ("\\section{%s}" . "\\newsection{%s}")
               ("\\subsection{%s}" . "\\newsubsection{%s}")))

    But when I do, I get the following on startup:

      Warning (initialization): An error occurred while loading
      `/home/srandby/.emacs.d/init.el':

      Symbol's value as variable is void: org-latex-classes

      To ensure normal operation, you should investigate and remove
      the cause of the error in your initialization file.  Start
      Emacs with the `--debug-init' option to view a complete error
      backtrace.

    This means I cannot put the above code in my init.el file where I
    want it to be.

Is there any way to make all of org's variables available for
customization on startup?

Scott Randby