Re: [O] Status fix for "Regression in fill-paragraph behavior"?

From: Nicolas Goaziou
Subject: Re: [O] Status fix for "Regression in fill-paragraph behavior"?
Date: Fri, 24 May 2013 22:23:19 +0200

"Wagemans, Peter" <address@hidden> writes:

> Nicolas Goaziou wrote:
>
>> Then try editing your text in a block like:
>>
>>   #+BEGIN_SRC message
>>   > ...
>>   #+END_SRC
>
> Or with fundamental or text mode. Possible but more cumbersome. Normal
> text paragraph fill used to "just work".

No, it didn't "just work". It mixed Org keywords, ignored line breaks...
which are part of Org syntax, unlike to mail citation markup. Fixing it
broke a side-effect you used. I understand this is annoying, but it is
all about priority.

> Maybe it wasn't defined, but it used to work up to 7.8.11 (at least).
> For me it is very useful and often used functionality and even
> fundamental and text mode offer it.

And rst mode doesn't. Some major modes have such a feature, some others
don't.

Also, you have to admit that Org is a bit more complex than Text mode
(or Fundamental mode), and may have different requirements.

> Could org-mode perhaps delegate text paragraph fill to the functions
> used by those modes (from Emacs fill.el I presume), so that the
> standard Emacs "Adaptive Fill" functionality remains available?

Again, what you call standard "Adaptive Fill" is not standard, since it
depends on the major mode.

I think external packages (filladapt.el?) might provide the
functionality you're after, assuming you configure them to play nicely
with Org.

Regards,

--
Nicolas Goaziou