Re: [O] emacs cygwin external link file+sys:

From: Sebastien Vauban
Subject: Re: [O] emacs cygwin external link file+sys:
Date: Mon, 27 May 2013 09:24:23 +0200

Hi Aaron,

Aaron Siegel wrote:
> On Sunday, May 26, 2013 05:31:41 PM Aaron Siegel wrote:
>> I would like to use org-mode to manage my documents. I would like to be
>> able to click on a like and have the document open in the operate program
>> for the OS; example a pdf file will open in Adobe Acrobat Reader in windows
>> and Okular in my linux system.
>>
>> I am trying to migrate to emacs bundle with cygwin in hopes I can create a
>> configuration that is portable between the two systems. I have been using
>> the portableApplication emacs and it does work. I am able to click on a
>> link and open a document in a Window's application. Can I get this to work
>> with the cygwin version?
>>
>> Any recommendation on a emacs for Windows?
>
> I installed the Windows binarys distrubied by the emacs project, it works
> everything. I set the enviromental variables ~ and HOME to point to my home
> directory where my .emacs files are stored.
>
> That was it. I spent months fighting with PortableApps and the emacs bundle
> with cygwin.

And, for opening the right apps, using a .mailcap file can help [1] (where you
can specify apps to use when in Windows, or when in Linux, all in the same
file).

## .mailcap -- MIME Viewer configuration file

#* Commentary:

# `%s' means "put the datafile name here when the viewer is executed"
#
# `test=test -n "$DISPLAY"' is used to determine if the current session is
# X-capable (by checking for the existence of a DISPLAY environment
# variable)

#* Code:

#...
application/pdf;                "C:/Program Files
(x86)/SumatraPDF/SumatraPDF.exe" "%s"
application/pdf;                evince "%s"; test=sh -c 'test $DISPLAY'
application/pdf;                pdftotext "%s" -; copiousoutput
#...

Best regards,
  Seb

[1] At least, for opening Gnus attachments.

--
Sebastien Vauban