Re: [O] org-babel, python, encoding and table

From: Roland DONAT
Subject: Re: [O] org-babel, python, encoding and table
Date: Wed, 29 May 2013 12:18:33 +0000 (UTC)

Andreas Röhler <andreas.roehler <at> easy-emacs.de> writes:

> Am 07.05.2013 18:41, schrieb Eric Schulte:
> >> #+NAME: test2
> >> #+begin_src python :results value :preamble # -*- coding: utf-8 -*-
:return
> >> a = ( ( "é", "a" ), ( "a", "à" ) )
> >> b = "é"
> >> #+end_src
> >>
> >> #+RESULTS: test2
> >> | \303\251 | a        |
> >> | a        | \303\240 |
> >>

> > Maybe this isn't an execution problem, but is rather a buffer encoding
> > problem.  I executed your example above in a small buffer (attached).  I
> > then saved this buffer and was forced to specify an encoding, I selected
> > utf8.  If I cat the resulting file from disk, the accented characters
> > appear correctly.
> >

> Confirming this.
>
> BTW also return a[0][0] displays correct so far.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Andreas

Hello,

Just an update about this post.

I've kept on digging on the problem of org-babel python results that
produces encoding problems in
the emacs buffer when the requested results is turned into a org table.

To remind and illustrate the problem, here is an example :
#+name: pytab-test
#+begin_src python :results value :session :preamble # -*- coding: utf-8 -*-
:return a
a = ( ( "é", "a" ), ( "a", "à" ) )
#+end_src

#+TBLNAME: pytab-test
| \303\251 | a        |
| a        | \303\240 |

I have then two problems :
1. The characters are not well displayed in the buffer
2. If I try to save the buffer, emacs doesn't recognize the encoding and
tells me that "utf-8-unix cannot encode these: \303 \251 [...]

So I decided to inspect what happened during the Python session...
Basically, Org-babel just write the str conversion of my tuple ( ( "é", "a"
), ( "a", "à" ) ) (that appears (('\xc3\xa9',
'a'), ('a', '\xc3\xa0')) in the python interpreter) in a temporary file.

Then looking in this temporary file, I see that the strange characters are
written directly \xc3, \xa9, etc.

Consequently, my guess is that org-babel has maybe some difficulties to deal
with these characters
while reading the temporary file before displaying the results in the
buffer.

Unfortunately, this is just a guess and even less a solution... But am I on
relevant lead???

Thanks in advance for any help...

Roland.