Re: [O] Xemacs 21.5.32 and org-8.03, compilation problems

From: Uwe Brauer
Subject: Re: [O] Xemacs 21.5.32 and org-8.03, compilation problems
Date: Thu, 30 May 2013 22:33:21 +0200

>> "Achim" ==Achim Gratz <address@hidden> writes:

   > Uwe Brauer writes:
   >> I know that compiling  org under Xemacs is delicate. I succeeded with
   >> 7.8.3 but it seems that the installation process has changed quite a
   >> bit.

   > No, not really.
Ok, good
   >> I edit the relevant
   >>
   >> default.mk
   >> file (OK I should not do that but create local.mk)
   >>
   >> EMACS=/usr/local/bin/xemacs
   >> BATCH = $(EMACS) -batch -vanilla # Xemacs

   > Yes, you should not do this.  A configuration file for XEmacs is here:
   > http://orgmode.org/worg/dev/org-build-system.html#sec-4-1-4

Thanks!

   >> Now when running make  the following problems showed up:

   > You're not using the sources you think you are using.

That was a little my feeling.

   >> Did anybody sucessfully compile the latest org version under
   >> Xemacs 21.5.X?

   > No, despite repeated calls for help no feedback from actual XEmacs users
   > was registered and at some point I've stopped bugging Bastien about the
   > incompatibilities introduced.  There are at least a handful of functions
   > that'd need compatibility macros /defuns on XEmacs and I don't know what
   > turns up when these are out of the way, but the results were sketchy
   > already on 7.x whenever I tried.  Your best bet is running uncompiled
   > (which probably still needs compatibility definitions).

You are right, this is a sad fact but true. The only person who cared,
and knows enough Lisp is Michael Sperber, who right now is very busy.

Actually I am right now very busy my self, but maybe in the next days I
give it another try, now that you sent me this information!

Thanks and regards

Uwe