Re: [O] XeLaTeX and the new exporter

From: Christopher Witte
Subject: Re: [O] XeLaTeX and the new exporter
Date: Mon, 3 Jun 2013 12:47:32 +0200

Sure, I'll give it a try, but I might not get around to it for a few days.

Cheers,
Chris.

On 1 June 2013 08:43, Carsten Dominik <address@hidden> wrote:
Hi Christopher,

Would you like to provide a patch?

- Carsten

On 31.5.2013, at 09:58, Christopher Witte <address@hidden> wrote:

Sorry for the late reply.

I'm not entirely sure either, I pretty much just blindly followed the instructions on the FAQ.  I don't think this is at all the minimum you need to get xelatex working, it also sets up a few other things.  For instance it used latexmk instead of just recompiling a few times.  Perhaps the FAQ should be split up into a few different questions:
1. minimum setup for XeLaTeX, something similar to your setup
2. how to use latexmk

Cheers,
Chris

On 22 May 2013 19:07, Suvayu Ali <address@hidden> wrote:
Hi Christopher,

On Tue, May 07, 2013 at 05:42:04PM +0200, Christopher Witte wrote:

> I had export working using XeLaTeX using the instructions from the
> FAQ<http://orgmode.org/worg/org-faq.html#using-xelatex-for-pdf-export>(with
> some slight modifications), but after upgrading to the new export it
> isn't working.  It appears the hook
> org-export-latex-after-initial-vars-hook isn't defined anymore.
>
> Any advice on what I need to change to get it to work?

I have noticed discussions on this before and I fail to understand the
need for all the setup mentioned in the above Worg entry.  I use XeLaTeX
almost exclusively, and all I have is something like this:

  ;;; XeLaTeX customisations
  ;; remove "inputenc" from default packages as it clashes with xelatex
  (setf org-latex-default-packages-alist
        (remove '("AUTO" "inputenc" t) org-latex-default-packages-alist))

  (add-to-list 'org-latex-packages-alist '("" "xltxtra" t))
  ;; choose Linux Libertine O as serif and Linux Biolinum O as sans-serif fonts
  (add-to-list 'org-latex-packages-alist '("" "libertineotf" t))

  ;; org to latex customisations, -shell-escape needed for minted
  (setq org-export-dispatch-use-expert-ui t ; non-intrusive export dispatch
        org-latex-pdf-process               ; for regular export
        '("xelatex -shell-escape -interaction nonstopmode -output-directory %o %f"
          "xelatex -shell-escape -interaction nonstopmode -output-directory %o %f"
          "xelatex -shell-escape -interaction nonstopmode -output-directory %o %f"))

For beamer export I add this line:

  #+LaTeX_HEADER: \setsansfont{Linux Biolinum O}

So far I have not encountered any problems.  Although I have to say, I
do not use unicode in mathmode.

I am curious to know why others need all this elaborate setup to use
XeLaTeX.

Cheers,

--
Suvayu