Re: [O] export to LaTeX with TOC but without numbers

From: Andreas Leha
Subject: Re: [O] export to LaTeX with TOC but without numbers
Date: Tue, 04 Jun 2013 22:10:55 +0200

Hi Nick,

Nick Dokos <address@hidden> writes:

> Andreas Leha <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Hi Eric,
>>
>> thanks for your answer.
>>
>> Eric S Fraga <address@hidden> writes:

>>> Andreas,
>>>
>>> the problem is that setting num:nil tells org to use the second form of
>>> sectioning, as specified in org-latex-classes.  The unnumbered section
>>> headings do not generate TOC information so no TOC is available.  It's a
>>> latex issue, not org.
>>>
>>> There are workarounds but they involve using latex directly (to add
>>> entries to a TOC basically).
>>
>> I am aware of that.  Sorry for being unclear.  I would like to automate
>> exactly that.
>>
>> I use several LaTeX export classes and I would like that possibility
>> (TOC with unnumbered sections/subsections/...) in each of these classes.
>> Thus, I am searching for a (more) general approach, that I could 'switch on'
>> and have it insert the latex statement on its own.
>>

> Instead of adding toc entries, you can use latex to delete section
> numbers:
>
> #+LATEX_HEADER: \setcounter{secnumdepth}{0}
>
> * foo
> This is foo.
>
> ** subfoo1
> This is foo.1
> ** subfoo2
> This is foo.2
>
> * bar
> This is bar.
>
> The problem might be that the sections are not numbered in the TOC
> either. But if you don't care about that, this is certainly simpler
> than adding toc entries by hand.

Thanks for that!  That is really cool and having the entries in the TOC
un-numbered is exactly what I want!

As a follow-up, it would be nice if I could mix
that now again with num:1.  That way I could add a TOC with depth 1
(only sections) and have them un-numbered.

But num:1 add its own '\setcounter{secnumdepth}{1}' (why?) which by default
comes later than than the #+LATEX_HEADER definition: