Re: [O] org-list-allow-alphabetical LaTeX export

From: Josiah Schwab
Subject: Re: [O] org-list-allow-alphabetical LaTeX export
Date: Thu, 6 Jun 2013 10:39:55 -0700

> On 6 jun. 2013, at 10:20, Michael Bach <phaebz <at> gmail.com> wrote:
>> The LaTeX exporter does not honor the setting of
>> org-list-allow-alphabetical.

A week or so ago I asked a similar question about the HTML export and lists.
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-orgmode/2013-05/msg01324.html
So I just wanted to toss in my 2ยข.

On Jun 6, 2013, at 2:17 AM, Carsten Dominik wrote:
> Conventions about the type of bullet to be used in a document belong to the
> typesetting side, and I rather establish a global setting for a document than
> follow my momentary decisions when I write the Org-mode version of it.  On a
> similar vein, we do have lists starting with - and * and +, but we still let
> LaTeX and HTML choose what to use as a bullet.  To me this feels like the
> right behavior.

I think this argument makes sense;  and to be honest, that's probably how I
want the exporter to behave most of the time.

However, there is particular use case where I find this frustrating, which is
writing problem sets.  There I like to reference other parts of the problems by
name.  For example,

a) Do something.
b) Use your answer in part a) to do something else.

Then, if I want to export it to multiple formats (say, html and pdf), there is
no general way to tell orgmode: "my alphabetical bullet choice was meaningful,
please try to preserve it".  One ends up inserting little workarounds for each
export format.  Which is not a big deal, but when everything else works so
seamlessly it's these little things that stand out :)

Best,
Josiah