Re: [O] Per file ID

From: Klaus-Dieter Bauer
Subject: Re: [O] Per file ID
Date: Thu, 6 Jun 2013 18:03:40 +0000 (UTC)

Suvayu Ali <fatkasuvayu+linux <at> gmail.com> writes:

> On Fri, May 24, 2013 at 04:43:53PM +0200, Klaus-Dieter Bauer wrote:
> > Hello!
> >
> > I intend to use org-mode for organizing my research notes; I prefer
however
> > a "wiki" style with many files rather than one big file.
> >
> > I found that the ID mechanism is quite robust for linking across files,
but
> > most of the time I'd like to link to a file, not a heading in that file,
by
> > ID. Is that possible in org-mode?
>
> The motivation behind id links is their guaranteed uniqueness.  For
> linking to files, doesn't simply using filenames do that?
>
>   [[file:path/to/file.org][My notes]]
>
> Why reinvent the wheel?  ;)
>
> Hope this helps,

For me the purpose of using IDs is, amongst others, being able to reorganize
my files without breaking links.

Hence direct file links are unique but not robust. I even add UUIDs to every
plot I generate by now for similiar reasons ;)

That said, with my wiki-style approach having one top-level heading per file
turned out reasonable anyway.

kind regards, Klaus