Re: [O] latex and bibliography?

From: Nick Dokos
Subject: Re: [O] latex and bibliography?
Date: Sat, 15 Jun 2013 23:28:06 -0400

Thorsten Jolitz <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi List,
>
> here is a minimal example of what I thought should work but does not:
>
> - org-bibtest.org
> ,--------------------------
> | * chapter
> | ** section
> | \cite{west1995bayesian}
> | ** section
> | \bibliographystyle{plain}
> | \bibliography{bibtest}
> `--------------------------
>
> - org-bibtest.bib
> ,--------------------------------------------------------------------------
> | @article{west1995bayesian,
> |   title={Bayesian inference in cyclical component dynamic linear models},
> |   author={West, Mike},
> |   journal={Journal of the American Statistical Association},
> |   volume={90},
> |   number={432},
> |   pages={1301--1312},
> |   year={1995},
> |   publisher={Taylor \& Francis Group}
> | }
> `--------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> => exports to ASCII buffer:

I don't know much about references and bibliographies in org (there have
been some discussions recently on the list I think but I haven't
followed them), but AFAIK the \bibliography stuff is just text as far as
org is concerned and is passed verbatim to the output file. It just
happens that when the output file is processed through latex and
friends, they can make some sense out of it. The rest of the world (org
included and all its exporters) remains blissfully ignorant - that's my
story in any case and until somebody proves me wrong, I'm sticking with
it.

--
Nick