Re: [O] patch for latex->tikz

From: Andreas Leha
Subject: Re: [O] patch for latex->tikz
Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2013 00:31:50 +0200

Hi Eric,

Eric Schulte <address@hidden> writes:

> Andreas Leha <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> attached is a small patch that makes it possible to 'evaluate' latex
>> source blocks to tikz files.
>
> Applied, thanks.
>

>> When the :file header argument has a value ending in '.tikz' the
>> content of the body of the source block will be copied into the
>> resulting tikz file.  This makes handling of tikz figures with
>> captions easier.
>>
>> Here is a use-case:
> [...]
>> This example works well besides some weird scaling/placement issue.
>>

> The best way I've found to deal with scaling/placement of raw or inline
> tikz is to use the subcaption and adjustbox packages as in the following
> example.
>
>     % latex
>     \begin{figure}
>       \centering
>       \begin{minipage}[b]{0.32\linewidth}
>         \adjustbox{width=1.0\linewidth}{
>           \begin{tikzpicture}
>             % ...
>           \end{tikzpicture}
>         }
>         \subcaption{\small part 1}
>       \end{minipage}
>       \begin{minipage}[b]{0.32\linewidth}
>         \adjustbox{width=1.0\linewidth}{
>           \begin{tikzpicture}
>             % ...
>           \end{tikzpicture}
>         }
>         \subcaption{\small part 2}
>       \end{minipage}
>       \begin{minipage}[b]{0.32\linewidth}
>         \adjustbox{width=1.0\linewidth}{
>           \begin{tikzpicture}
>             % ...
>           \end{tikzpicture}
>         }
>         \subcaption{\small part 3}
>       \end{minipage}
>       \caption{Example with three sub-parts}
>       \label{fig:example}
>     \end{figure}

thanks for the pointer.  I was not aware of the adjustbox package
before.  Definitely interesting.

Playing with it I found the flaw in my patch.  The inclusion of
[[foo.tikz]] is wrapped in \begin{tikzpicture} ... \end{tikzpicture}
already during LaTeX export.

So, exporting my example to latex gives a nested tikzpicture.  There is
nothing wrong with that, but the outer tikzpicture has these scaling
options, hence the wrong placement/scaling.

The code block that is going to tikz should, thus, *not* contain
the \begin{tikzpicture} and \end{tikzpicture} directives.

That might not render my patch completely useless, but limits its
use at least.

I was hoping for one and the same latex code block to be evaluated to
tikz/pdf/svg/imagemagick giving (more ore less) the same resulting image
in each.
In the moment that is not the case.

To clarify this:
# can be evaluated to tikz (to export to latex)
#+begin_src latex
    <<picturecontents>>
#+end_src

# can be evaluated to pdf/svg/imagemagick
#+begin_src latex
  \begin{tikzpicture}
    <<picturecontents>>
  \end{tikzpicture}