Re: [O] property with multiple values, or suggestions for a course plann

From: Thorsten Jolitz
Subject: Re: [O] property with multiple values, or suggestions for a course planning system
Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2013 09:57:39 +0200

Kel Chan <address@hidden> writes:

Hi,

> disclaimer: new to org and emacs.
>
> question: How can I associate more than one value to a property?
>
> I'm implementing a course planning tool b/c the one provided by my
> university sucks.
>
> Ideally, each course offered is a second level heading with a property
> "offering" with multiple possible values: fall, spring, odd spring,
> even summer, etc. And similar to "offering", each heading also have
> "prereq" and "designation" property.
>
> I would like to create a sparse-tree by searching for some property to
> view a tree of courses and plan accordingly. The problem is that each
> property can only have one value.
>
> Is property the best way to implement this system? If not, can you
> suggest something else?

There are multi-value properties in Org-mode and an API exists with
related functions get, put, add, remove and member-in.

| http://orgmode.org/manual/Using-the-property-API.html

So you should be able to have a property "offering" with more than one
season, and build a sparse tree by checking if the season at hand is
member in that property.

--
cheers,
Thorsten