Re: [O] Adding support for limits and exclusions to iCal recurring event

From: Nicolas Goaziou
Subject: Re: [O] Adding support for limits and exclusions to iCal recurring events
Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2013 13:45:54 +0200

Hello,

Toke Høiland-Jørgensen <address@hidden> writes:

> I've been wanting to have support for exporting recurring events to iCal
> while limiting the number of repetitions, as well as excluding dates.
> The patch below is my attempt to add this functionality. However, I'm in
> doubt as to whether or not this is the right way to go about it (parsing
> dates stored in the property drawer), or if there's a better way?
>
> A sample headline supporting this might look like this:
>
> * Test
> :PROPERTIES:
> :END_DATE: [2013-07-21 Sun]
> :EXCLUDE:  [2013-07-14 Sun]
> :ID:       b376f8e3-f1a7-4ed6-ab9b-a255938af8c0
> :END:
> <2013-07-07 Sun +1w>
>

> If this is a reasonable way to go about it, I'll be happy to resubmit it
> as a proper patch (i.e. from `git format-patch`) for inclusion. :)

Thanks for your patch.

I think EXCLUDE property is a good idea, but I may be renamed to
ICALENDAR_EXCLUDE until it is also handled by Org Agenda, if it ever
happens. It also needs to be documented in the manual.

On the other hand, I'm not sure about the END_DATE property. Couldn't
DEADLINE be used for that matter? For example, `repeater-end-date' could
be added to `org-icalendar-use-deadline' possible values. When this
symbol belongs to variable's value and current entry has a deadline, any
timestamps with a repeater get deadline's value as its END DATE
property.

What do you think?

> +(defun org-icalendar-zero-convert-timestamp (timestamp &optional format)
> +  "Parse and format an org-formatted timestamp, zeroing the time component."
> +  (let ((time (org-parse-time-string timestamp))
> +     (fmt (or format "%Y%m%dT%H%M%SZ")))
> +    (format-time-string fmt (encode-time 0 0 0 (nth 3 time) (nth 4 time)
> (nth 5 time)))))

Can't `org-icalendar-convert-timestamp' be used instead?

Regards,

--
Nicolas Goaziou