[O] $ in paragraph -- footnote problem

From: Alan L Tyree
Subject: [O] $ in paragraph -- footnote problem
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2013 09:01:16 +1000

According to the manual (at 11.7.3):

 * Text within the usual LaTeX math delimiters.  To avoid conflicts
     with currency specifications, single `$' characters are only
     recognized as math delimiters if the enclosed text contains at
     most two line breaks, is directly attached to the `$' characters
     with no whitespace in between, and if the closing `$' is followed
     by whitespace, punctuation or a dash.  For the other delimiters,
     there is no such restriction, so when in doubt, use `\(...\)' as
     inline math delimiters.

I have a paragraph with a $120,000 in it. At any point after the $ sign, org will not let me insert a footnote, giving the message "Cannot insert a footnote here". Removing the $ allows a footnote, but replacing the $ disables it. Adding another currency figure to the paragraph changes nothing.

Is this a bug or a problem with my setup?

emacs 24.3.1
org 8.0.6

Thanks for any help,
Alan