Re: [O] Org mode or Org-mode or org-mode or org?

From: Sebastien Vauban
Subject: Re: [O] Org mode or Org-mode or org-mode or org?
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2013 16:45:53 +0200

Tom Slee wrote:
> On the orgmode.org site this thing is called "Org mode" while on worg and
> in the papers on literate programming with org it is called "Org-mode" with
> a hyphen. On the email list it is commonly called "org-mode" (lower case o,
> hyphen) or just org.
>
> Is there any consensus about the proper name by which to refer to
> [oO]rg[-]mode in a formal context?

Personally, I follow the convention used in the Emacs manual, that is Dired
mode, Hideshow mode, Org mode, etc.

Extract:

  ╭────
  │ 25.9 Org Mode
  │ =============
  │
  │ Org mode is a variant of Outline mode for using Emacs as an organizer
  │ and/or authoring system.  Files with names ending in the extension
  │ `.org' are opened in Org mode (*note Choosing Modes::).  To explicitly
  │ switch to Org mode, type `M-x org-mode'.
  │
  │    In Org mode, as in Outline mode, each entry has a heading line that
  │ starts with one or more `*' characters.  *Note Outline Format::.  In
  │ addition, any line that begins with the `#' character is treated as a
  │ comment.
  ╰────

Best regards,
  Seb