Re: [O] Org mode or Org-mode or org-mode or org?

From: Tom Slee
Subject: Re: [O] Org mode or Org-mode or org-mode or org?
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2013 11:09:34 -0400

Thanks Sebastien and Suvayu: your answers make a lot of sense (and are even consistent with each other).

Tom

On Wed, Jul 31, 2013 at 11:06 AM, Suvayu Ali <address@hidden> wrote:
On Wed, Jul 31, 2013 at 04:45:53PM +0200, Sebastien Vauban wrote:
> Tom Slee wrote:
> > On the orgmode.org site this thing is called "Org mode" while on worg and
> > in the papers on literate programming with org it is called "Org-mode" with
> > a hyphen. On the email list it is commonly called "org-mode" (lower case o,
> > hyphen) or just org.
> >
> > Is there any consensus about the proper name by which to refer to
> > [oO]rg[-]mode in a formal context?
>
> Personally, I follow the convention used in the Emacs manual, that is Dired
> mode, Hideshow mode, Org mode, etc.

AFAIR, Carsten prefers it as Org mode too.

That said, I think the names are somewhat context dependent.  The manual
prefers Org mode, following the convention: <Name> mode.  On the list
you will see people use org-mode because that is the actual command to
turn on Org mode.  Sometimes this is shortened as org, or Org.  Academic
discussions of Org mode are bound by the rules of grammar.  I guess that
is why you might Org-mode instead of org-mode: proper nouns are
capitalised.

:)

--
Suvayu