Re: [O] LaTex Adjustments for Org-Export

From: John Hendy
Subject: Re: [O] LaTex Adjustments for Org-Export
Date: Sat, 3 Aug 2013 20:26:46 -0500

On Sat, Aug 3, 2013 at 3:49 PM, Brian van den Broek
<address@hidden> wrote:

> On Jul 31, 2013 8:28 AM, "Jeff Rush" <address@hidden> wrote:
>>
>> I'm trying to export a .org file to .pdf and although I've gotten past
>> many formatting hurdles, I am stuck on two problems.
>>

> <snip>
>

>> 2) How can I change the basic formatting of paragraphs everywhere to
>>
>>      a) omit the leading indent, and
>>      b) have a blank line between paragraphs
>>
>>     Instead of this strange-looking style:
>>
>>         This is a test paragraph
>>     of the following kind of thing.
>>         And so is this one.
>>
>>     I want it to look like this:
>>
>>     This is a test paragraph
>>     of the following kind of thing.
>>       And so is this one.
>
> Hi all,
>
> (Catching up on the traffic, so a bit late to the thread.)
>
> I don't use org's export facilities, so I am not sure how and where to
> object this into org's export process. But, the LaTeX way is to use the
> parskip package.
>
> Please do reconsider, though. Just about every book on my shelves follows
> what you label a 'strange style,' for the good reason that the style you
> favour can result in ambiguity. (A paragraph that ends a page, takes up the
> entire last line and is followed by a new paragraph cannot be distinguished
> from a paragraph that spans the page break.)

True, though when it comes to that sort of thing I look at it from a
probability point of view:
- p(what you described happens): perhaps < 1%, if even that high
- p(looking at default LaTeX format will make my eyes bleed): 100%

That was [mostly] a joke. I'm actually not clear from the text above
what is desired. The description says "no leading indent and blank
line between," but the example text shows non-indent on first
paragraph, indent on second (which would void the page-span concern),
and no line break...

I take it you have literary experience, which I'm glad to have on the
list. Your comment made me consider that I often fiddle with "what
seems to look nice," overlooking that some of these things have a very
specific purpose in terms of avoiding ambiguity or what you described
-- I'd never have thought of that!

John