Re: [O] how to handle svg files when exporting orgmode to html and pdf?

From: Malcolm Cook
Subject: Re: [O] how to handle svg files when exporting orgmode to html and pdf?
Date: Thu, 8 Aug 2013 12:46:28 -0500

Aaron & Nick,

Thanks for the help.  I think I'm almost there.

So far I did

 * install a latex package (first time for everything).  I wound up
just putting svg.sty file it for now in the same directory as the .org
file since my attempts to date failed using $HOME/texfm
 * customize the emacs variable `org-latex-pdf-process` to include
'--shell-escape' (following advice in
http://orgmode.org/worg/org-dependencies.html, which outlines some
other options)
 * upgrade to inkscape version 0.48.+ (which is more recent than our
centOS repos proffered, but, hey) since the --export-latex switch that
svg.sty depends upon is not implemented till this version

When I "export to latex as PDF file", I get error "PDF file ./test.pdf
wasn't produced"

Sleuthing, I see the output .tex file includes the following lines:

\usepackage{svg}
\includegraphics[width=.9\linewidth]{mtcars.png}
@@backend:\includesvg{mtcars}

However, when they get processed, and the includesvg seeks the pdf_tex
file, I get this error:

! LaTeX Error: File `mtcars.pdf_tex' not found.
Type X to quit or <RETURN> to proceed,
or enter new name. (Default extension: pdf_tex)
Enter file name:
! Emergency stop.
<read *>
l.354 \includesvg{mtcars}

If you have any suggestions to me for further sleuthing I would be much obliged.

Thanks,

Malcolm Cook