Re: [O] Export attached image files

From: Suvayu Ali
Subject: Re: [O] Export attached image files
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2013 11:51:01 +0200

Hi Johan,

On Tue, Aug 20, 2013 at 10:34:06AM +0200, Johan Ekh wrote:
> Thanks for your answer Suvayu!
>
> Sorry for being unclear. What I mean is that when I write reports or papers
> using org-mode and latex exporter it is natural
> to take care in storing my image files in a structured way on my disk and
> use links in org-mode to incorporate the images
> in my latex document. These image files will live on my disk more or less
> forever.
>
> But if I write a note or some guide for myself regarding usage of some
> software, or the settings in my router, I would like
> to take a series of screenshots, quickly incorporate them into an org file
> together with some text without having to rename
> the screenshots with suitable names and organize them on my disk etc. I'd
> like org-mode to store the images somewhere
> in a data directory as an attachment, but of course I'd like the
> screenshots to be incorporated in the pdf-file when I export it.

That is a valid use case, but I do not think that is possible.
Attachments are an Org only feature, meaning it is not meant for export.
That said, it should be possible to use a custom function to "get" the
attachments and add it to the end of the exported document using a hook;
try this one: `org-export-before-parsing-hook'.

To get an idea how to get the files, take a look at org-attach-open in
org-attach.el.  Once you have the filenames, just insert inline links at
the end of the buffer:

* Attachments
[[./path/to/attachment1]]
[[./path/to/attachment2]]