Re: [O] [PATH] [NEW EXPORTER] two slide backends for contrib

From: Matt Price
Subject: Re: [O] [PATH] [NEW EXPORTER] two slide backends for contrib
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2013 23:41:20 -0400

On Tue, Aug 27, 2013 at 10:12 AM, Rick Frankel <address@hidden> wrote:
> On 2013-08-27 00:41, Matt Price wrote:
>>
>> I just came across this, having missed it in February.  Rick, I was
>> wondering if you had thought about enabling some of deck.js's snazzier
>> features -- transitions for text elements, for instance, like we see
>> in the intro deck here: http://imakewebthings.com/deck.js/#intro
>>
>> I'm mostly asking because I'd like to try and copy your work to make
>> an exporter for impress.js (https://github.com/bartaz/impress.js).
>> Kinjo has written one, but it uses the old exporter and no longer
>> works with current versions of org, so I thought I would start with
>> your deck.js work.
>>
>> I know that's not very specific, but if you've thought about these
>> issues I would love to learn wat you've figured out.  Thanks!
>

> All the fancy transitions and builds in the deck.js intro are handled
> via CSS. So, the exporter will handle them easily.
>
> If you look at the source for the intro, you will see that all the
> builds and transitions are defined in home.css, and applied based on
> slide id and/or class.

ah, I wish I understood css transforms better!  But yes, I can see
that they are being defined in home.css and attached to individual
classes/ids for slides.  That's very helpful.

> If you look at the documentation for ox-deck
> @https://github.com/cybercode/org-slides, you will see that you can
> specify per-slide classes via the HTML_CONTAINER_CLASS property on the
> headline (and any headline can be build by setting the "slide" class
> on the headline).

ah, I get it now.  Thank you.

> Taking a quick look @ the impress.js docs, i noticed that there is an
> S9 template for impress.js
> (http://slideshow-s9.github.io/slideshow-impress.js), and that
> everything is specified w/ slide properties (x, y, z, scale and
> rotate), so I would use headline PROPERTIES ( :IMPRESS_X, etc) to
> define the slideshow.

I'll give that a try, if I end up having time (argh).  I'm actually
liking deck, though.  Am wondering if it would be very hard to add
support for the codemirror extension to your deck code.  Maybe I'll
try that first...

> Also note that it might be easier to inherit from  ox-s5 instead of
> ox-deck as it is more generic (and add a wrapper around
> `org-s5-headline') to process the additional properties.

Thanks again, very very helpful.

Matt