Re: [O] odt export version conflict on emacs for mac os x

From: Jambunathan K
Subject: Re: [O] odt export version conflict on emacs for mac os x
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2013 10:25:25 +0530

Skip Collins <address@hidden> writes:

> I started digging into this when I noticed some odd behavior while
> using ODT export. I think I am stuck using the older, buggier ox-odt
> and my setup is mixing two versions of org.

Your settings seem OK to me.

> 1) an odt file is generated (good)

This is what matters!

> Explicitly setting org-export-backends, org-export-odt-schema-dir, and
> org-export-odt-styles-file in minimalinit.el has no effect. These
> variables seem to be superseded when ox-odt is invoked.

org-export-odt-*   => These are LEGACY settings. IGNORE THEM.
org-odt            => Settings used by NEW exporter, ox-odt.el

> I immediately browse the ODT customization options showing that all
> variables are prefixed with org-export-odt-.

You will see that

    M-x customize-group RET org-export-odt RET

shows variables with both the prefixes `org-export-odt-*' and
`org-odt-*'.  It is the later one that you should use.

Seeing both the old and new custom variables is NORMAL and nothing to
worry about.  You will similar behaviour for other exporters - latex and
html - as well.  This mixing up of LEGACY and NEW variables will go away
with Emacses that have new ox-odt.el.

If the new variables are not seen do

    M-x load-library RET ox-odt RET

Also remember to add odt to

   M-x customize-variable RET org-export-backends RET

> 2) These Emacs messages appear (bad):
> Debug (ox-odt): Searching for OpenDocument styles files...
> Debug (ox-odt): Trying /usr/share/emacs/etc/org/styles/... [2 times]
> Debug (ox-odt): Trying /usr/local/share/emacs/etc/styles/...
> Debug (ox-odt): Trying /usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/etc/styles/...
> Debug (ox-odt): Trying /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/etc/org/...

The *BEST* way to pick the right styles file is to set the
`org-odt-data-dir' directly.

I have the following setting in my .emacs

    (setq org-odt-data-dir "~/src/org-mode/etc/")

OrgOdtStyles.xml is under styles/ subdir of that dir.

Modify the above variable according to your setting.

> The newer org, which I intend to completely supplant the version that
> comes with Emacs, was installed with prefix /usr/local/share using the
> 'make up2' command.

make is what sets up `org-odt-data-dir' for you.  In your setting check
the value of `org-odt-data-dir' and make sure that the OrgOdtStyles.xml
file is available where the ODT exporter looks for it.

Ping Achim Gratz if you think make is not doing the right thing.

Btw, (I think) you will get the right behaviour if you do

        make install

> Debug (ox-odt): Using styles under
> /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/etc/org/

The above directory is `data-directory' of Vanilla Emacs.

> Debug (ox-odt): Searching for OpenDocument schema files...
> Debug (ox-odt): Trying /usr/share/emacs/etc/org/schema/... [2 times]
> Debug (ox-odt): No OpenDocument schema files installed

Absence of schema files is just a normal warning.  A user need not
bother about it.