Re: [O] org-insert-heading rewritten from scratch

From: Nicolas Goaziou
Subject: Re: [O] org-insert-heading rewritten from scratch
Date: Sat, 31 Aug 2013 16:34:45 +0200

Hello,

> On 8.8.2013, at 09:41, Eric Abrahamsen <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> Carsten Dominik <address@hidden> writes:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I have rewritten org-insert-heading, because it had become an
>>> unmaintainable beast.
>>> Please follow up in this thread if you find problems with the new
>>> implementation.
>>> Very likely there will be bugs, but now I am at least confident they can be
>>> fixed.
>>>
>>> - Carsten
>>
>> Awesome! Thanks very much for doing this. Will report back with bugs.
>
> I take it none have been found?

Not really a bug, but I find some behaviour surprising: when at a the
beginning of a regular text line, there is no way to create a headline
just above it. In the following example:

  XCursor is at "X"

Neither M-RET, C-u M-RET, C-RET nor C-u C-RET can do it. Is it intended?

Also in this case, I think C-RET should create the new headline _after_
the subtree, since that's its whole point anyway, AFAIU.

Eventually, it seems that behaviour towards empty lines is a bit
unpredictable. In the following example, M-RET will be behave
differently on each blank line between Paragraph and "H2". C-RET will be
consistent. Note: I have `auto' as value for `heading' key in
`org-blank-before-new-entry'.

  * H1

    Paragraph

  * H2

IMO, using M-RET and C-RET should be as smooth an experience as
possible.

I also suggest to write function specifications as tests in test-org.el.

Regards,

--
Nicolas Goaziou