Re: [O] asynchronous code evaluation

From: Charles Berry
Subject: Re: [O] asynchronous code evaluation
Date: Wed, 4 Sep 2013 16:08:25 +0000 (UTC)

Johannes Rainer <johannes.rainer <at> gmail.com> writes:

> hi all!
>
> I have some pretty calculation intense R code in a code block and when I
> execute the code (C-c C-c) my emacs freezes and waits for the code to
> finish. Is there a way to evaluate the code asynchronously, so that I
> could edit the file (obviously not the code block itself) while the code
> is being evaluated?
>
> thanks, jo

Try this:

C-c ' in the R src block.

Then use C-c C-c (ess-eval-region-or-function-or-paragraph-and-step) to
execute the long running code from the ESS edit buffer.

You may need to select the region if there are several paragraphs, or
delete any blank lines.

==

Another alternative is to use ravel.

  https://github.com/chasberry/orgmode-accessories

Create a knitr or Sweave doc from the org doc or a suitable subtree of the
computationally intensive parts.

Then you can knit() the doc from the R session and switch back to
the buffer you want to edit. Also, you might want to turn on caching in the
knitr doc to enable a quick restart when you log in again.